- The definition of a song is a musical piece, or the sounds of some animals such as birds.
An example of songs are "Silent Night," "Unchained Melody" and "I Can't Help Falling in Love with You."
song definition by Webster's New World
- the act or art of singing: to break into song
- a piece of music sung or composed for singing
- Old Poet. poetry; verse
- a relatively short metrical composition for, or suitable for, singing, as a ballad or simple lyric
- a musical sound like singing: the song of the lark
Origin: Middle English ; from Old English sang: for Indo-European base see sing
song definition by American Heritage Dictionary
- Music a. A brief composition written or adapted for singing.b. The act or art of singing: broke into song.
- A distinctive or characteristic sound made by an animal, such as a bird or an insect.
- a. Poetry; verse.b. A lyric poem or ballad.
Origin: Middle English, from Old English sang; see sengwh- in Indo-European roots.
Origin: Chinese (Mandarin) Sòng, named after Sòng prefecture by its founder Zhao Kuangyin, where he was conferred his title.
song - Phrases/Idioms
for a song
for a song