- The definition of a lilt is a happy or light song, tune or movement.
An example of a lilt is a cheerful song for babies about the ABCs.
- Lilt is defined as to speak, sing or move with a light and graceful rhythm.
An example of lilt is to lightly skip down the street.
Origin: Middle English lilten, lulten, probably of echoic origin, originally
- a merry song or tune with a light, swingy, and graceful rhythm
- a light and graceful rhythm or movement
Used by arrangement with John Wiley & Sons, Inc.
- A cheerful or lively manner of speaking, in which the pitch of the voice varies pleasantly.
- A light, happy tune or song.
- A light or resilient manner of moving or walking.
- To speak, sing, or play with liveliness or rhythm.
- To move with lightness and buoyancy.
Origin: From Middle English lulten, lilten, to sound an alarm.