Melinda is the manager of a popular retail store in the mall.
- The definition of retail is relating to the sale of goods directly to consumers.
An example of retail is a store in the shopping mall like Sears or Old Navy.
- Retail is defined as relating to the sale of goods directly to consumers.
An example of retail is selling shirts to customers in a clothing store.
Origin of retailMiddle English retaile from Old French retaille, literally , a cutting from retailler, to cut up from re-, again + tailler, to cut: see tailor
- of, connected with, or engaged in the sale of goods at retail
- designating or of a banking or financial institution providing services to, or primarily to, consumers, rather than to corporations or to other banks: a retail broker, retail lending
- to sell individually or in small quantities; sell directly to the consumer
- to repeat or pass on (gossip, secrets, etc.) to others
Origin of retailME retaylen
- In retail quantities.
- At a retail price.
verbre·tailed, re·tail·ing, re·tails
- To sell in small quantities directly to consumers.
- To tell or repeat (gossip or stories, for example) to others.
Origin of retailMiddle English from Anglo-Norman variant of Old French piece cut off from retaillier to cut up re- re- tailler to cut ; see tailor .
- The sale of goods directly to the consumer; encompassing the storefronts, mail-order, websites, etc., and the corporate mechanisms, branding, advertising, etc. that support them, which are involved in the business of selling and point-of-sale marketing retail goods to the public.
- She works in retail.
- (colloquial) Retail price; full price; an abbreviated expression, meaning the full suggested price of a particular good or service, before any sale, discount, or other deal.
- I never pay retail for clothes.
- Of, or relating to the (actual or figurative) sale of goods or services directly to individuals.
(third-person singular simple present retails, present participle retailing, simple past and past participle retailed)
From the Old French verb retaillier.