- Ransack is defined as to search through carefully and completely, or search for something to steal.
An example of ransack is thieves quickly searching through a house for valuables.
- to search thoroughly; examine every part of in searching
- to search through for plunder; pillage; rob
Origin: Middle English ransaken from Old Norse rannsaka from rann, house (akin to Old English ærn, Gothic razn from Indo-European base an unverified form (e)re-, to rest) plush -saka from sœkja, to seek
- ransacker noun
Used by arrangement with John Wiley & Sons, Inc.
transitive verb ran·sacked, ran·sack·ing, ran·sacks
- To search or examine thoroughly.
- To search carefully for plunder; pillage.
Origin: Middle English ransaken, from Old Norse rannsaka : rann, house + *saka, to search, seek; see sāg- in Indo-European roots.
- ranˈsackˌer noun