- The definition of rancid is food that tastes or smells gross because of old or spoiled oil or fat.
Milk that has spoiled is an example of something that would be described as rancid.
A bottle of rancid milk.
- having the bad smell or taste of stale fats or oils; spoiled
Origin of rancidClassical Latin rancidus ; from rancere, to be rank
- Having the disagreeable odor or taste of decomposing oils or fats; rank.
- Repugnant; nasty: rancid remarks.
Origin of rancidLatin rancidus, from rancēre, to stink, be rotten.
(comparative more rancid, superlative most rancid)
- Nouns to which "rancid" often gets applied: food, butter, meat, milk, fat, oil, smell, odor, taste.
From Latin rancidus (â€œstinking, rank, rancid, offensiveâ€), from ranceÅ (â€œto stinkâ€) (sense in Middle Latin), from whence also English rancor, in Latin used only in present participle rancens (â€œstinkingâ€).