- The definition of rancid is food that tastes or smells gross because of old or spoiled oil or fat.
Milk that has spoiled is an example of something that would be described as rancid.
A bottle of rancid milk.
rancid definition by Webster's New World
- having the bad smell or taste of stale fats or oils; spoiled
Origin: Classical Latin rancidus ; from rancere, to be rank
rancid definition by American Heritage Dictionary
- Having the disagreeable odor or taste of decomposing oils or fats; rank.
- Repugnant; nasty: rancid remarks.
Origin: Latin rancidus, from rancēre, to stink, be rotten.
- ran·cidˈi·ty, ranˈcid·ness noun
rancid - Medical Definition