- The definition of musty is having a moldy, stale or damp smell.
- An old house that has been shut up for years and that no fresh air has entered is an example of a house that would be described as musty.
- Towels that are left in the washer too long after the cycle ends and that smell moldy and unclean are an example of towels that would be described as musty.
- Stale or moldy in odor or taste.
- a. Hackneyed or trite; dull.b. Out of date; antiquated.c. Out of use or practice; rusty.
Origin of mustyAlteration of obsolete moisty, from moist.