- The definition of musty is having a moldy, stale or damp smell.
- An old house that has been shut up for years and that no fresh air has entered is an example of a house that would be described as musty.
- Towels that are left in the washer too long after the cycle ends and that smell moldy and unclean are an example of towels that would be described as musty.
musty definition by Webster's New World
musty definition by American Heritage Dictionary
adjective must·i·er, must·i·est
- Stale or moldy in odor or taste.
- a. Hackneyed or trite; dull.b. Out of date; antiquated.c. Out of use or practice; rusty.
Origin: Alteration of obsolete moisty, from moist.
- mustˈi·ly adverb
- mustˈi·ness noun