- An old house that has been shut up for years and that no fresh air has entered is an example of a house that would be described as musty.
- Towels that are left in the washer too long after the cycle ends and that smell moldy and unclean are an example of towels that would be described as musty.
The definition of musty is having a moldy, stale or damp smell.
- having a stale, moldy smell or taste, as an unused room, food kept in a damp place, etc.
- stale or trite; worn-out; antiquated: musty ideas
- dull; apathetic
Origin of musty; from uncertain or unknown; perhaps earlier moisty ; from moist
- Stale or moldy in odor or taste.
- a. Hackneyed or trite; dull.b. Out of date; antiquated.c. Out of use or practice; rusty.
Origin of mustyAlteration of obsolete moisty, from moist.