- The definition of a placard is a sign with information, or a small plaque.
- An example of a placard is a poster outside of a cafe advertising the specials.
- An example of a placard is a sign on someone's door with their name and title.
- a notice for display in a public place; poster
- a small card or plaque
Origin: L Middle English placquart from Middle French plackart from Middle Dutch placke, piece, spot, patch
- to place placards on or in
- to advertise or give notice of by means of placards
- to display as a placard
Used by arrangement with John Wiley & Sons, Inc.
- A sign or notice for display in a public place.
- A small card or plaque, such as a nameplate on a door.
- To announce or advertise by means of placards.
- To post placards on or in.
- To display as a placard.
Origin: Middle English, official document, from Old French, from plaquier, to plaster, piece together, from Middle Dutch placken, to patch.
- placˈardˌer noun