- a relatively large printed card or sheet of paper, often illustrated, posted to advertise or publicize something; placard
- any relatively large piece of commercial art, often a photograph of a celebrity, pinup, etc.
A large print showing the name of a movie and an enticing picture to try to get you to come to the movie is an example of a movie poster.
- a person who traveled by post, or rapidly
- post horse
- a. A large, usually printed placard, bill, or announcement, often illustrated, that is posted to advertise or publicize something.b. An artistic work, often a reproduction of an original painting or photograph, printed on a large sheet of paper.
- One that posts bills or notices.
- One who posts a message.
- Some posters left the online message board after the squabble.
- One who posts, or travels expeditiously; a courier.
- (dated) A posthorse.
- An advertisement to be posted on a pole, wall etc. to advertise something.
- I saw a poster for it on the side of a bus.
- A picture of a celebrity, an event etc., intended to be attached to a wall.
- He has posters of his favorite band, sports teams and holiday resorts up.
- (ice hockey, slang) A shot which only hits a goal post without going in
- We got three posters in the third and lost.
from to post (placcard, publish) + -er
from to post (travel, dispatch) + -er
- I'd like to remind you of a poster produced by the Campaign Against the Arms Trade, which I found particularly poignant.
- They were looking for the propaganda poster that said "Careless talk costs lives."
- He put up a poster asking for help with my name as the contact.
- When she weighed in at that finale, Subway awarded her with a check for $52,000 and set her a new goal: they would double her money if she paired up with the restaurant's weight loss poster boy, Jared, to train for and complete a marathon.
- In addition to the standard searches used by competitors in finding a particular film poster, this one also has a pull-down menu that allows you to access material by era (i.e., pre 1940's) as well as by the price range you'd like to pay.