- a relatively large printed card or sheet of paper, often illustrated, posted to advertise or publicize something; placard
- any relatively large piece of commercial art, often a photograph of a celebrity, pinup, etc.
A large print showing the name of a movie and an enticing picture to try to get you to come to the movie is an example of a movie poster.
- a person who traveled by post, or rapidly
- post horse
- a. A large, usually printed placard, bill, or announcement, often illustrated, that is posted to advertise or publicize something.b. An artistic work, often a reproduction of an original painting or photograph, printed on a large sheet of paper.
- One that posts bills or notices.
- One who posts a message.
- Some posters left the online message board after the squabble.
- One who posts, or travels expeditiously; a courier.
- (dated) A posthorse.
- An advertisement to be posted on a pole, wall etc. to advertise something.
- I saw a poster for it on the side of a bus.
- A picture of a celebrity, an event etc., intended to be attached to a wall.
- He has posters of his favorite band, sports teams and holiday resorts up.
- (ice hockey, slang) A shot which only hits a goal post without going in
- We got three posters in the third and lost.
from to post (placcard, publish) + -er
from to post (travel, dispatch) + -er
- He put up a poster asking for help with my name as the contact.
- I'd like to remind you of a poster produced by the Campaign Against the Arms Trade, which I found particularly poignant.
- They were looking for the propaganda poster that said "Careless talk costs lives."
- In addition to the standard searches used by competitors in finding a particular film poster, this one also has a pull-down menu that allows you to access material by era (i.e., pre 1940's) as well as by the price range you'd like to pay.
- Purchase some brightly colored poster board, stencil letters and paint, embellishments such as glitter, buttons and stickers, and anything else that will allow each and every family member to make their own imprint on the final product.