- The definition of a breastplate is protection worn over the chest, or a square cloth with twelve jewels worn by ancient Jewish high priests.
An example of a breastplate is the metal armor worn over the chest by medieval knights.
A suit of armor with close up on the breastplate.
breastplate definition by Webster's New World
Webster's New World College Dictionary Copyright © 2010 by Wiley Publishing, Inc., Cleveland, Ohio. Used by arrangement with John Wiley & Sons, Inc.
- a piece of armor for the breast
- in ancient times, an embroidered cloth worn on the breast of the Jewish high priest: it was set with twelve jewels representing the twelve tribes of Israelalso (RSV) breastpiece
breastplate definition by American Heritage Dictionary
- A piece of armor that covers the breast.
- Judaism A square cloth set with 12 precious stones representing the 12 tribes of Israel, worn over the breast by ancient high priests.