- The definition of aegis means protection, sponsorship or direction.
- An example of aegis is a foster child being under the care of a child welfare agency; he is “under the aegis” of the child welfare agency.
- An example of aegis is a marathon being sponsored by a major organization.
- An example of aegis is a play being led by a director.
- Gr. Myth. a shield borne by Zeus and, later, by his daughter Athena and occasionally by Apollo
- a protection
- sponsorship; auspices
Origin: Classical Latin ; from Classical Greek aigis, shield of Zeus, goatskin ; from uncertain or unknown; perhaps aix (gen. aigos), goat, hence uncertain or unknown; perhaps origin, originally the short goatskin cloak of Zeus
Used by arrangement with John Wiley & Sons, Inc.
- Protection: a child whose welfare is now under the aegis of the courts.
- Sponsorship; patronage: a concert held under the aegis of the parents' association.
- Guidance, direction, or control: a music program developed under the aegis of the conductor.
- Greek Mythology The goatskin shield or breastplate of Zeus or Athena. Athena's shield carried at its center the head of Medusa.
Origin: Latin, from Greek aigis, goatskin, skin shield, aegis, from aix, aig-, goat.