- The definition of armor is a covering that is worn to protect against weapons.
A knight's uniform is an example of armor.
A suit of medieval armor.
armor definition by Webster's New World
- covering worn to protect the body against weapons
- any defensive or protective covering, as on animals or plants, or the metal plating on warships, warplanes, etc.
- the armored forces and vehicles of an army; tanks, reconnaissance cars, etc.
- a quality or condition serving as a defense difficult to penetrate
Origin: Middle English armure ; from Old French ; from Classical Latin armatura: see armature
armor definition by American Heritage Dictionary
- A defensive covering, as of metal, wood, or leather, worn to protect the body against weapons.
- A tough, protective covering, such as the bony scales covering certain animals or the metallic plates on tanks or warships.
- A safeguard or protection: faith, the missionary's armor.
- a. The combat arm that deploys armored vehicles, such as tanks.b. The armored vehicles of an army.
Origin: Middle English armure, from Old French armeure, from Latin armātūra, equipment; see armature.