- To pare is defined as to peel, reduce or remove by trimming off the outside.
An example of to pare is using a knife to remove the skin of an orange.
pare definition by Webster's New World
- to cut or trim away (the rind, skin, covering, rough surface, etc.) of (anything); peel
- to reduce or diminish (costs, etc.) gradually: often with down
Origin: Middle English paren ; from Middle French parer, to prepare, trim, pare ; from Classical Latin parare, to prepare
- parer noun
pare definition by American Heritage Dictionary
transitive verb pared pared, par·ing, pares
- To remove the outer covering or skin of with a knife or similar instrument: pare apples.
- To remove by or as if by cutting, clipping, or shaving: pared off the excess dough.
- To reduce as if by cutting off outer parts; trim: pare expenses from the monthly budget.
Origin: Middle English paren, from Old French parer, to prepare, trim, from Latin parāre, to prepare; see perə-1 in Indo-European roots.
- parˈer noun
pare - Medical Definition
, Ambroise 1517?-1590.