- The definition of a hoof is the hard cover on the feet of some mammals such as horses and deer, or is slang for the human foot.
An example of a hoof is a horse's foot.
- Hoof is defined as to walk, kick or trample, or is slang for to dance.
- An example of hoof is walking quickly down the street.
- An example of hoof is a deer jumping and kicking through the woods.
- An example of hoof is when a professional dancer does a tap dance.
A woman cleaning the hoof of her horse.
hoof definition by Webster's New World
- the horny covering on the feet of ungulate mammals
- the entire foot of such an animal
- Slang the human foot
Origin: Middle English hoof ; from Old English hof, akin to German huf ; from Indo-European base an unverified form kapho- from source Sanskrit aphá-, hoof, claw
- to kick or trample with the hoofs
- Informal to walk: often with it
- Slang to dance
hoof definition by American Heritage Dictionary
noun pl. hooves hooves or hoofs
- a. The horny sheath covering the toes or lower part of the foot of a mammal of the orders Perissodactyla and Artiodactyla, such as a horse, ox, or deer.b. The foot of such an animal, especially a horse.
- Slang The human foot.
- To dance, especially as a professional.
- To go on foot; walk.
Origin: Middle English hof, from Old English hōf.
hoof - Phrases/Idioms
on the hoofâ
- To walk.
- To dance.
on the hoof