- Bot. the narrow, stalklike, claw-shaped base of certain petals
- Zool. a nail, claw, or hoof
Origin of unguisL, a nail
- Zoology A nail, claw, or hoof.
- Botany The clawlike base of some petals.
Origin of unguisLatin; see nogh- in Indo-European roots.
(plural ungues or unguises)
- (zoology) The nail, claw, talon, or hoof of a finger, toe, or other appendage.
- One of the terminal hooks on the foot of an insect.
- (botany) The slender base of a petal in some flowers; a claw; an ungula.
Part or all of this entry has been imported from the 1913 edition of Webster's Dictionary, which is now free of copyright and hence in the public domain. The imported definitions may be significantly out of date, and any more recent senses may be completely missing.
Latin, nail, claw, or hoof.