unguiculate[uŋ gwik′yo̵̅o̅ lit, -lāt′]
- having nails, claws, or talons instead of hoofs
- Bot. having an unguis
Origin of unguiculate; from Classical Latin unguiculus, fingernail, diminutive of unguis, claw, talon, nail + -ate
a mammal having claws or nails
- Having or resembling nails or claws.
- Zoology Having nails or claws, as opposed to hooves. Used of mammals.
- Botany Having a claw-shaped base: an unguiculate petal.
Origin of unguiculateNew Latin unguiculātus, from Latin unguiculus, fingernail, diminutive of unguis; see unguis.
(comparative more unguiculate, superlative most unguiculate)
- (zoology) Any of the Unguiculata.