paring definition by Webster's New World
Webster's New World College Dictionary Copyright © 2010 by Wiley Publishing, Inc., Cleveland, Ohio. Used by arrangement with John Wiley & Sons, Inc.
- the act of one who pares something
- a thin piece or strip pared off, as of the skin of a potato
paring definition by American Heritage Dictionary
- Something, such as a skin or peel, that has been pared off.
- The act of removing the outer covering or skin.
Variant of pare
transitive verb pared, paring
- to cut or trim away (the rind, skin, covering, rough surface, etc.) of (anything); peel
- to reduce or diminish (costs, etc.) gradually: often with down
Origin: Middle English paren ; from Middle French parer, to prepare, trim, pare ; from Classical Latin parare, to prepare
- parer noun