- the act of one who pares something
- a thin piece or strip pared off, as of the skin of a potato
- Something, such as a skin or peel, that has been pared off.
- The act of removing the outer covering or skin.
- Present participle of pare.
- A fragment or shaving that has been pared.
Variant of pare
transitive verbpared, paring
- to cut or trim away (the rind, skin, covering, rough surface, etc.) of (anything); peel
- to reduce or diminish (costs, etc.) gradually: often with down
Origin of pareMiddle English paren ; from Middle French parer, to prepare, trim, pare ; from Classical Latin parare, to prepare