- The definition of neuter is neutral, asexual or of a third gender.
An example of a neuter person is someone not interested in any sexual relationship.
- Neuter is defined as a castrated animal or a plant or animal that is sexually undeveloped.
An example of a neuter is a spayed cat.
- Neuter means to make an animal neutral or incapable of reproduction.
An example of neuter is to spay a dog.
neuter definition by Webster's New World
- Archaic taking neither side; neutral
- having no sexual organ; asexual
- having undeveloped or imperfect sexual organs in the adult, as the worker bee
- designating, of, or belonging to a third gender, existing in many highly inflected languages, consisting of words that have neither masculine nor feminine grammatical gender
- neither active nor passive; intransitive: said of verbs
Origin: Middle English neutre ; from Middle French or L: Middle French neutre ; from Classical Latin neuter, neither ; from ne-, not (see no) plush uter, either
- a castrated or spayed animal
- Archaic a neutral person or group
- Biol. a plant or animal lacking, or having undeveloped, sexual organs
- the neuter gender
- a word or form in this gender
- an intransitive verb
neuter definition by American Heritage Dictionary
- Grammar a. Neither masculine nor feminine in gender.b. Neither active nor passive; intransitive. Used of verbs.
- a. Biology Having undeveloped or imperfectly developed sexual organs: the neuter caste in social insects.b. Botany Having no pistils or stamens; asexual.c. Zoology Sexually undeveloped.
- Taking no side; neutral.
- Grammar a. The neuter gender.b. A neuter word.c. A neuter noun.
- A castrated animal.
- A sexually undeveloped or imperfectly developed insect, such as a worker bee.
- A plant without stamens or pistils.
- One that is neutral.
Origin: Middle English neutre, from Old French, from Latin neuter, neither, neuter : ne-, not; see ne in Indo-European roots + uter, either; see kwo- in Indo-European roots.
neuter - Medical Definition
- Having undeveloped or imperfectly developed sexual organs.
- Sexually undeveloped.