- The definition of intransitive is a verb without a direct object.
An example of something intransitive is the word "coughed" in the sentence, "He coughed."
- Intransitive is defined as a verb that doesn't require a direct object.
An example of an intransitive is the word "drinks" in the sentence "He drinks."
- not transitive
- Gram. designating a verb that does not require a direct object
Origin of intransitiveLate Latin intransitivus
adjectiveAbbr. intr. or int. or i.
- in·tran′si·tive·ness, in·tran′si·tiv′i·ty
- (grammar, of a verb) Not : not having, or not taking, a direct object.