The definition of a motif is a primary or recurring theme.
An example of a motif is a house decorated with the theme of horses.
- a main element, idea, feature, etc.; specif.,
- a main theme or subject to be elaborated on or developed, as in a piece of music, a book, etc.
- a repeated figure in a design
- motive (sense )
Origin of motifFr: see motive
- a. A recurrent thematic element in an artistic or literary work.b. A dominant theme or central idea.
- Music A short rhythmic or melodic passage that is repeated or evoked in various parts of a composition.
- A repeated figure or design in architecture or decoration. See Synonyms at figure.
- A recurrent pattern either of molecular sequence, usually of nucleotides or amino acids in proteins, or of molecular structure that usually corresponds to specific biological activity.
Origin of motifFrench, from Old French, motive; see motive.
- A recurring or dominant element; a theme.
- See how the artist repeats the scroll motif throughout the work?
- (music) A short melodic passage that is repeated in several parts of a work
- A decorative figure that is repeated in a design
- (crystallography) The physical object or objects repeated at each point of a lattice. Usually atoms or molecules.