- a forming; shaping
- form; appearance
- representation or symbolization
- Music the repetition of a figure or motif, esp. in variations on a theme
Origin of figurationMiddle English figuracioun ; from Classical Latin figuratio ; from figuratus: see figurative
- The act of forming something into a particular shape.
- A shape, form, or outline.
- The act of representing with figures.
- A figurative representation.
- Music a. Ornamentation of a passage by embellishing and often repeating figures.b. The pattern made by such embellishment or repetition.
- The act of giving figure or determinate form; determination to a certain form.
- Mixture of concords and discords.
Late Middle English figuracioun, from Old French, from Latin figuratio