- Maybe is defined as possibly or perhaps.
An example of maybe used as an adverb is stating what someone might do; "She will maybe go to the pool tomorrow."
Origin of maybeMiddle English (for it may be)
- An uncertainty: There are so many maybes involved in playing the stock market.
- An uncertain reply: It's better to receive a fast and honest no than a drawn-out maybe.
- Modifies a verb, indicating a lack of certainty.
- (as a pro-sentence) perhaps that is true (expressing no commitment to a decision or a neutral viewpoint to a statement)
- Do not confuse maybe with may be: "Maybe that's true", but "That may be true"
(comparative more maybe, superlative most maybe)
- (informal) Something that is possibly true.
- (informal) An answer that shows neither agreement nor disagreement.
- The results of the poll were inconclusive. We got two yeses, three nos, and four maybes.