- The definition of manly is something having the characteristics or traditional virtues generally attributed to men.
Being big, tough and strong is an example of being manly.
This guy might be considered manly.Licensed from iStockPhoto
- having the qualities generally regarded as those that a man should have; virile; strong, brave, resolute, honorable, etc.
- fit for a man; masculine: manly sports
Origin: ME: see man and amp; -ly
- manliness noun
Used by arrangement with John Wiley & Sons, Inc.
adjective man·li·er, man·li·est
- Having qualities traditionally attributed to a man.
- Belonging to or befitting a man; masculine. See Synonyms at male.
- manˈli·ness noun