- The definition of manly is something having the characteristics or traditional virtues generally attributed to men.
Being big, tough and strong is an example of being manly.
This guy might be considered manly.
- having the qualities generally regarded as those that a man should have; virile; strong, brave, resolute, honorable, etc.
- fit for a man; masculine: manly sports
Origin of manlyME: see man and amp; -ly
Obsolete in a manly way
- Of, relating to, or characteristic of men, especially when considered traditionally masculine, as in being courageous or direct: “Few men who are just about to go off on an adventure can resist a manly swig from a convenient bottle of whisky” (Jane Stevenson).
- Well-developed or toned in musculature: a manly physique.
In a manly manner.
(comparative manlier, superlative manliest)
man +â€Ž -ly