- An example of something effeminate is a voice that is high pitched.
- An example of something effeminate is a handshake that is soft and gentle.
- having the qualities generally attributed to women, as weakness, timidity, delicacy, etc.; unmanly; not virile
- characterized by such qualities; weak; soft, decadent, etc.: effeminate art
Origin of effeminateMiddle English effeminat ; from Classical Latin effeminatus past participle of effeminare, to make womanish ; from ex-, out + femina, a woman: see female
Origin of effeminateMiddle English effeminat, from Latin eff&emacron;minatus, past participle of eff&emacron;minare, to make feminine : ex-, ex- + f&emacron;mina, woman; see dh&emacron;(i)- in Indo-European roots.
- ef·fem′i·na·cy , ef·fem′i·nate·ness
(comparative more effeminate, superlative most effeminate)
(third-person singular simple present effeminates, present participle effeminating, simple past and past participle effeminated)
From Latin effēminātus, past participle of effēmināre.