- An example of something virile is a young, strong man.
- An example of something virile is a bull.
The definition of virile is something that is full of strength or sexual potency.
- of, belonging to, or characteristic of an adult man; manly; male
- having manly strength or vigor; forceful
- of or capable of copulation; sexually potent
Origin of virileClassical Latin virilis ; from vir, man: see werewolf
- Of, relating to, or having the characteristics of an adult male, especially in having the ability to have sexual intercourse.
- Masculine in a robust way; manly: “[He] was a man of action, a virile director who brought out the best in the screenplay” (Jeffrey Meyers).
- Energetic or forceful: a virile performance of the concerto.
Origin of virileMiddle English, from Old French viril, from Latin vir&imacron;lis, from vir, man; see w&imacron;-ro- in Indo-European roots.
(comparative more virile, superlative most virile)
- Being manly; having characteristics associated with being male, such as strength; exhibiting masculine traits to an exaggerated degree such as strength, forcefulness or vigor.
- (grammar) Pertaining to a grammatical gender used in plurals of some Slavic languages, corresponding to the personal masculine animate nouns.
From Latin virilis.