- The definition of a glimpse is a fast, quick look.
An example of glimpse is when you catch a quick look at the sunset just before the sun disappears from the sky.
- To glimpse is defined as to catch a quick look at something.
An example of glimpse is when you get a quick look at your performance review across the table before the boss covers it up.
transitive verbglimpsed, glimps′ing
Origin of glimpseMiddle English glimsen (with unhistoric -p-) from base of Old English glæm (see gleam), akin to Middle High German glimsen, Middle Dutch glinsen
- Archaic a brief, sudden shining; flash
- a faint, fleeting appearance; slight trace
- a brief, quick view
- A brief, incomplete view or look.
- Archaic A brief flash of light.
verbglimpsed, glimps·ing, glimps·es
Origin of glimpseMiddle English glimsen to glisten, glance ; see ghel-2 in Indo-European roots.