- The definition of a gander is a male goose, a look at something, or someone who is silly or foolish.
- An example of a gander is the male or males in a flock of geese.
- An example of a gander is a look at a new community park.
- An example of a gander is someone who constantly plays pranks.
A Canadian gander.
- a male goose
- a stupid or silly fellow
- Slang a lookchiefly in the phrase take a gander
Origin of ganderMiddle English ; from Old English gan(d)ra, akin to German dialect, dialectal , Dutch Low German gander, akin to German gans, goose
- A male goose.
- Informal A look or glance: “Everyone turns and takes a gander at the yokels” (Garrison Keillor).
- Informal A simpleton; a ninny.
Origin of ganderMiddle English, from Old English gandra; see ghans- in Indo-European roots.
(third-person singular simple present ganders, present participle gandering, simple past and past participle gandered)