A Canadian gander.
- An example of a gander is the male or males in a flock of geese.
- An example of a gander is a look at a new community park.
- An example of a gander is someone who constantly plays pranks.
The definition of a gander is a male goose, a look at something, or someone who is silly or foolish.
- a male goose
- a stupid or silly fellow
- Slang a lookchiefly in the phrase take a gander
Origin of ganderMiddle English from Old English gan(d)ra, akin to German dialect, dialectal , Du, Low German gander, akin to German gans, goose
- A male goose.
- Informal A look or glance: “Everyone turns and takes a gander at the yokels” ( Garrison Keillor )
- Informal A simpleton; a ninny.
Origin of ganderMiddle English from Old English gandra ; see ghans- in Indo-European roots.
(third-person singular simple present ganders, present participle gandering, simple past and past participle gandered)
- A surname.
- A town in Newfoundland and Labrador