- An example of someone who would be described as florid is a red-faced, flushed runner whose face has turned red with exertion.
- An example of something that would be described as florid is overly complex and wordy writing.
The definition of florid is someone with a flushed complexion, or something overly complicated.
- flushed with red or pink; rosy; ruddy: said of the complexion
- highly decorated; gaudy; showy; ornate: a florid musical passage
- Obs. decorated with flowers; flowery
Origin of floridClassical Latin floridus, flowery ; from flos, a flower
- Flushed with rosy color; ruddy.
- Very ornate; flowery: a florid prose style.
- Archaic Healthy.
- Obsolete Abounding in or covered with flowers.
Origin of floridFrench floride, from Latin fl&omacron;ridus, from fl&omacron;s, fl&omacron;r-, flower; see bhel-3 in Indo-European roots.
- flo·rid′i·ty , flor′id·ness