A topographic map of Florida.
Florida definition by Webster's New World
- Southern state of the SE U.S., mostly on a peninsula between the Atlantic & the Gulf of Mexico: admitted, 1845; 53,927 sq mi (139,670 sq km); pop. 15,982,000; cap. Tallahassee: abbrev. FL or Fla
- strait between the S tip of Fla. & Cuba on the south & the Bahamas on the southeast: it connects the Atlantic & the Gulf of Mexicoalso called Florida Strait
Origin: Spanish ; from Classical Latin literally , abounding in flowers ; from flos (gen. floris): see bloom: so named by Juan Ponce de León
Florida definition by American Heritage Dictionary
Abbr. FL or Fla.
- Flo·ridˈi·an , Florˈi·dan adjective
, Straits of also Florida Strait
Florida - Cultural Definition
The southeasternmost state of the contiguous United States, bordered by Alabama and Georgia to the north, the Atlantic Ocean to the east and south, and the Gulf of Mexico and Alabama to the west. Its capital is Tallahassee, and its largest city is Jacksonville.
- Home of Walt Disney World, an amusement park near Orlando, and many other theme parks. (See Walt Disney.)
- Home of the Kennedy Space Center, launch site for many U.S. space missions.
- St. Augustine, located on the coast of Northern Florida, is the oldest city in the United States, settled in the sixteenth century by Spain.
- One of the Confederate states during the Civil War.