- The definition of a flip is a quick change over or a somersault.
An example of a flip is changing from being a staunch atheist to a devout Catholic in an instant.
- To flip is defined as to turn from one side to the other or to lightly toss.
An example of to flip is to turn a pancake over to cook the other side.
A flip of the coin.
flip definition by Webster's New World
- to toss or move with a quick jerk; flick: flip the drawer shut
- to snap (a coin) into the air with the thumb, as in betting on which side will land uppermost
- to turn or turn over: to flip pages in a book
- to make a quick, light stroke, as with the finger or a whip; snap
- to move jerkily
- to flip a coin, as in letting chance decide something
- to turn over quickly; specif., to execute a flip
- to look (through) in a quick, random manner
- ☆ Slang to lose self-control as a result of excitement, anger, madness, etc.also flip out
- the act or motion of flipping; snap, tap, jerk, or toss
- a somersault in the air
Origin: probably ; from flip
flip definition by American Heritage Dictionary
verb flipped flipped, flip·ping, flips verb, transitive
- To throw or toss with a light brisk motion: flipped me the ball; flipped his hair out of his eyes.
- To toss in the air, imparting a spin: flip a coin.
- a. To turn over or around, especially with a light quick motion: flip over a card; flipped the tape to play the other side.b. To turn through; leaf: flipped the pages of the report.
- To strike quickly or lightly; flick.
- To move or act on with a quick motion: flip a switch; flipped open her briefcase.
- To turn over: The canoe flipped over in the rapids.
- To turn a somersault, especially in the air.
- To move in twists and turns: fish flipping about in the net.
- To move quickly and lightly; snap: The lid flipped open.
- To leaf; browse: flipped through the catalogue.
- Slang a. To go crazy. Often used with out.b. To react strongly and especially enthusiastically: She flipped over the new car.
- The act of flipping, especially:a. A flick or tap.b. A short, quick movement: a flip of the wrist.c. A somersault.
- Informal A reversal; a flipflop.
- A mixed drink made with any of various alcoholic beverages and often including beaten eggs.
Origin: Perhaps imitative.
flip - Phrases/Idioms
flip one's lidor flip one's wigâ
flip (one's) lid
- To react strongly, as with anger or enthusiasm.
- To go crazy.