- The definition of a somersault is a flip where you turn your body one full revolution either forward or backward, or a 180 degree turn or change in opinion.
- When you do a flip, and rotate your body forward, this is an example of a somersault.
- When you first vote yes to a bill and then you vote no to the same bill, this is an example of a somersault.
- Somersault is to do an acrobatic flip where you turn your body a full revolution either forward or backward.
An example of a somersault is when a gymnast in the Olympics puts her head on the ground and spins her feet over her head in order to revolve her body forward.
Origin of somersaultaltered from Middle French sombresault, soubresault from Classical Latin supra, over + saltus, a leap from past participle of saltare: see saltant
- An acrobatic stunt in which the body rolls forward or backward in a complete revolution with the knees bent and the feet coming over the head. Also called somerset . Also called also called regionally tumbleset .
- A complete reversal, as of sympathies or opinions.
intransitive verbsom·er·sault·ed, som·er·sault·ing, som·er·saults, also sum·mer·sault·ed or sum·mer·sault·ing or sum·mer·saults
Origin of somersaultObsolete French sombresault variant of sobresault from Old Provençal sobresaut sobre- above ( from Latin suprā ; see uper in Indo-European roots.) saut leap ( from Latin saltus ) ( from past participle of salīre to leap ; see sel- in Indo-European roots.)
(third-person singular simple present somersaults, present participle somersaulting, simple past and past participle somersaulted)
- To perform a somersault.
- The performer somersaulted all the way across the stage.
From obsolete French sombresault < Old ProvenÃ§al sobresaut < sobre- 'over, above' + saut 'jump'.