Facades of shopping center buildings.
- An example of facade is the front of the local mall.
- An example of facade is the putting on of a smile when really feeling quite upset.
The definition of a facade is the front of a building facing a public space or an artificial front or appearance by someone.
- the front of a building; part of a building facing a street, courtyard, etc.
- the front part of anything: often used fig., with implications of an imposing appearance concealing something inferior
Origin of facadeFrench from Italian facciata from faccia from Vulgar Latin facia: see face
- The face of a building, especially the principal face.
- An artificial or deceptive front: ideological slogans that were a façade for power struggles.
Origin of facadeFrench from Italian facciata from faccia face from Vulgar Latin facia from Latin faciēs ; see dhē- in Indo-European roots.
- The face of a building, especially the front.
- (figuratively) A deceptive outward appearance.
OriginSee also: façade