economies - Computer Definition
Computer Desktop Encyclopedia
THIS DEFINITION IS FOR PERSONAL USE ONLY
All other reproduction is strictly prohibited without permission from the publisher.
© 1981-2014 The Computer Language Company Inc. All rights reserved.
Variant of economy
noun pl. economies
- the management of the income, expenditures, etc. of a household, business, community, or government
- careful management of wealth, resources, etc.; avoidance of waste by careful planning and use; thrift or thrifty use
- restrained or efficient use of one's materials, technique, etc., esp. by an artist
- an instance of such management or use, or a way of economizing
- an orderly management or arrangement of parts; organization or system: the economy of the human body
- a system of producing, distributing, and consuming wealth
- the condition of such a system: a healthy economy
Origin: L oeconomia < Gr oikonomia, management of a household or state, public revenue < oikonomos, manager < oikos, house (see eco-) + -nomia, -nomy
- costing less than the standard or traditional kind: an economy car, an economy flight
- providing more of a product at a lower unit price: an economy package
Used by arrangement with John Wiley & Sons, Inc.