cost of living
- The definition of the cost of living is the average cost of all basic necessities including food, housing, utilities, transportation, clothing and health care expenses.
An example of the cost of living is the amount of money it would cost to have a minimum standard of living in a particular city.
Used by arrangement with John Wiley & Sons, Inc.
- The average cost of the basic necessities of life, such as food, shelter, and clothing.
- The cost of basic necessities as defined by an accepted standard.
- costˌ-of-livˈing adjective
cost of living - Cultural Definition
The average cost of the basic necessities of life, including food, shelter, and clothing.
- In the United States, the cost of living is monitored in the consumer price index (formerly called the cost-of-living index), published monthly by the federal government.