- The definition of a marketplace is a place where things are sold.
An example of a marketplace is a local farmer's market.
A woman shopping at a local marketplace.
marketplace definition by Webster's New World
Webster's New World College Dictionary Copyright © 2010 by Wiley Publishing, Inc., Cleveland, Ohio. Used by arrangement with John Wiley & Sons, Inc.
- a place, esp. an open place, where goods are offered for sale
- the world of trade, business, economic affairs, etc.: often used figuratively: the marketplace of ideas
marketplace definition by American Heritage Dictionary
The American Heritage® Dictionary of the English Language, 4th edition Copyright © 2010 by Houghton Mifflin Harcourt Publishing Company. Published by Houghton Mifflin Harcourt Publishing Company. All rights reserved.
- An open area or square in a town where a public market or sale is set up.
- The world of business and commerce.
- A situation or place in which values, opinions, and ideas are put forward for debate or recognition: a marketplace for new ideas; the literary marketplace.