A woman shopping at a local marketplace.
- The definition of a marketplace is a place where things are sold.
An example of a marketplace is a local farmer's market.
- a place, esp. an open place, where goods are offered for sale
- the world of trade, business, economic affairs, etc.: often used figuratively: the marketplace of ideas
- An open area or square in a town where a public market or sale is set up.
- The world of business and commerce.
- A situation or place in which values, opinions, and ideas are put forward for debate or recognition: a marketplace for new ideas; the literary marketplace.