- The definition of committed is being dedicated or loyal to something, to give for safekeeping or to be confined.
- An example of a committed parent is one who is at every one of her child's games and who is a homeroom mother who is always there for her son.
- An example of committed is to have given your life to honor a specific cause.
- An example of committed is to be sent to prison.
Variant of commit
- to give in charge or trust; deliver for safekeeping; entrust; consign: we commit his fame to posterity
- to put officially in custody or confinement: committed to prison
- to hand over or set apart to be disposed of or put to some purpose: to commit something to the trash heap
- to do or perpetrate (an offense or crime)
- to bind as by a promise; pledge; engage: committed to the struggle
- to make known the opinions or views of: to commit oneself on an issue
- to refer (a bill, etc.) to a committee to be considered
Origin: Middle English committen ; from Classical Latin committere, to bring together, commit ; from com-, together plush mittere, to send: see mission
- committable adjective