- simple past tense and past participle of relegate
Variant of relegate
transitive verbrelegated, relegating
- to exile or banish (someone) to a specified place
- to consign or assign to an inferior position: usually with to
- to assign to a class, sphere, realm, etc.; classify as belonging to a certain order of things
- to refer, commit, or hand over for decision, action, etc.
Origin of relegate; from Classical Latin relegatus, past participle of relegare, to send away ; from re-, away, back + legare, to send: see legate