- The definition of a client means a customer or a person who uses services.
An example of a client is a student being tutored at a college writing center.
A salesman with two clients.
client definition by Webster's New World
- Archaic a person dependent on another, as for protection or patronage
- a person or company for whom a lawyer, accountant, advertising agency, etc. is acting
- a customer
- a person served by a social agency
- a nation, state, etc. dependent on another politically, economically, etc.also client state
- Comput. a terminal or personal computer that is connected to a server (sense )
Origin: Old French ; from Classical Latin cliens, follower, retainer ; from Indo-European base an unverified form klei-, to lean, as in Classical Latin clinare (see incline); basic sense, “one leaning on another (for protection)”
- cliental adjective
client definition by American Heritage Dictionary
- The party for which professional services are rendered, as by an attorney.
- A customer or patron: clients of the hotel.
- A person using the services of a social services agency.
- One that depends on the protection of another.
- A client state.
- Computer Science A computer or program that can download files for manipulation, run applications, or request application-based services from a file server.
Origin: Middle English, from Old French, from Latin cliēns, client-, dependent, follower; see klei- in Indo-European roots.
- cliˈent·age noun
- cli·enˈtal adjective
client - Business Definition
- A computer system that utilizes the services of another computer system.
- A customer.
- A person or organization that uses the services of a professional. For example, someone who seeks advice from an attorney or financial services consultant is a client.
client - Computer Definition
In a client/server architecture, a complete, standalone computer that optimizes the user interface, relying on servers to handle the more mundane tasks associated with application and file storage, network administration, security, and other critical functions. See also architecture, client/server, and server.
A computer program transmitting data to a parent server program.
See Also: Computer.
Symantec Security Response. Glossary. [Online, July 15, 2004.] Symantec Security Response Website. http://securityresponse.symantec.com/avcenter/refa.html.
(1) A user's computer, which is generally a Windows, Mac or Linux desktop or laptop. Smartphones and tablets are also clients. The term implies that the client machine is connected to a network. Contrast with server. See client application, client download, client/server, thin client and fat client.
(3) The customer of a vendor or consultant. The client of an IT department is the end user.
client - Legal Definition
client - Science Definition