- Archaic a person dependent on another, as for protection or patronage
- a person or company for whom a lawyer, accountant, advertising agency, etc. is acting
- a customer
- a person served by a social agency, psychotherapist, etc.
- a nation, state, etc. dependent on another politically, economically, etc.also client state
- Comput. a terminal or personal computer that is connected to a server (sense )
Origin of clientOld French from Classical Latin cliens, follower, retainer from Indo-European base an unverified form klei-, to lean, as in Classical Latin clinare (see incline); basic sense, “one leaning on another (for protection)”