- The definition of blithe is cheerful or carefree or lacking in concern.
- An example of blithe is a happy little girl playing with her friends.
- An example of blithe is someone who lights up a cigarette in a no-smoking zone.
blithe definition by Webster's New World
showing a cheerful, carefree disposition; lighthearted
Origin: Middle English ; from OE; ultimately ; from Indo-European base an unverified form bhlei-, to shine, gleam
blithe definition by American Heritage Dictionary
adjective blith·er, blith·est
- Carefree and lighthearted.
- Lacking or showing a lack of due concern; casual: spoke with blithe ignorance of the true situation.
Origin: Middle English, from Old English blīthe.
- blitheˈly adverb
- blitheˈness noun