- The definition of advertise means to provide public information about something, particularly with the hope of making people want to buy, rent or have it.
Creating a commercial about the benefits of a new type of shampoo is an example of advertise.
transitive verbadvertised, advertising
- to tell about or praise (a product, service, etc.) publicly, as through newspapers, handbills, radio, television, etc., so as to make people want to buy it
- to make known; give notice of
Origin of advertiseMiddle English advertisen ; from Old French a(d)vertiss-, extended stem of advertir, to warn, call attention to ; from Classical Latin advertere, advert
- to call the public's attention to things for sale or rent, help wanted, etc., as by printed or broadcast notices; sponsor advertisements
- to ask (for) publicly by printed notice, etc.: advertise for a servant
verbad·ver·tised, ad·ver·tis·ing, ad·ver·tis·es
- To make public announcement of, especially to proclaim the qualities or advantages of (a product or business) so as to increase sales. See Synonyms at announce.
- To make known; call attention to: advertised my intention to resign.
- To warn or notify: “This event advertises me that there is such a fact as death” (Henry David Thoreau).
- To call the attention of the public to a product or business.
- To inquire or seek in a public notice, as in a newspaper: advertise for an apartment.
Origin of advertiseMiddle English advertisen, to notify, from Old French advertir, advertiss-, to notice; see advert1.
(third-person singular simple present advertises, present participle advertising, simple past and past participle advertised)
- (now rare) To notify (someone) of something; to call someone's attention to something. [from 15th c.]
- To give (especially public) notice of (something); to announce publicly. [from 15th c.]
- (intransitive) To provide information about a person or goods and services to influence others. [from 18th c.]
- It pays to advertise.
- For personal needs, advertise on the internet or in a local newspaper.
- To provide public information about (a product, service etc.) in order to attract public awareness and increase sales. [from 19th c.]
- Over the air, they advertise their product on drive-time radio talk shows and TV news shows.