- The definition of adhere means to stick to something, either literally or figuratively.
- An example of something that adheres is Scotch Tape.
- An example of adhere is to remain true to your belief.
- adherer noun
Used by arrangement with John Wiley & Sons, Inc.
verb ad·hered, ad·her·ing, ad·heres verb, intransitive
- To stick fast by or as if by suction or glue.
- To remain devoted to or be in support of something: adhered to her beliefs.
- To carry out a plan, scheme, or operation without deviation: We will adhere to our plan.
Origin: French adhérer, from Latin adhaerēre, to stick to : ad-, ad- + haerēre, to stick.