adherent[ad hir′ənt, əd-]
- The definition of adherent is an item or entity that sticks to something, either literally or figuratively.
- An example of something that is adherent is double sided tape.
- An example of someone who is adherent is a person who does what he promised to do in a contract he signed.
- Adherent is defined as a person who follows something or someone, like an cause or a strong leader.
An example of adherent is a military officer who follows a code of conduct.
- sticking fast; attached
- Bot. grown together; adnate
Origin of adherentFrench ; from Classical Latin adhaerens, present participle of adhaerere: see adhere
a supporter or follower (of a person, cause, etc.)
A supporter, as of a cause or individual: a vote that pleased adherents of education reform.
- Sticking or holding fast.
- Botany Joined but not united. Used of dissimilar parts or organs.
(comparative more adherent, superlative most adherent)
- A person who has membership in some group, association or religion.