An example of a sponge is a bright red tree sponge.
An example of a sponge is what people use to clean the counters.
An example of a sponge is what a doctor uses in surgery to clean a wound.
An example of sponge is to clean up spilled milk.
An example of sponge is to live with a friend without paying for rent or food.
Sponge off the table.
Sponge off the sweat; sponge up the mess.
Sponge paint on the wall.
Sponge a meal.
Sponged off her parents.
- A piece of spongy plastic, cellulose, rubber, etc., used like natural sponge.
- A pad of gauze or cotton, as used in surgery.
- A vaginal contraceptive device consisting of a round piece of spongy material infused with a spermicide.
- A light dessert made of whipped gelatin and beaten egg whites or whipped cream.
- Raised dough, as for bread.
- Any of several metals, as platinum, found in a porous mass.
- Dough before it is kneaded and formed into loaves, and after it is converted into a light, spongy mass by the agency of the yeast or leaven.
- Iron from the puddling furnace, in a pasty condition.
- Iron ore, in masses, reduced but not melted or worked.
He has been sponging off his friends for a month now.
- To admit defeat; give up: from the practice by a boxer's second of throwing a sponge into the ring to concede defeat.