A running conversation; a running joke among us.
A running title; a running footer.
A running sore.
A running foot.
A running commentary, a running pattern.
A running account.
A running translation.
A running jump.
A running shoe.
For five days running.
To be away two days running.
A running explanation.
A running vine.
Mom's strawberry jam won the blue ribbon at the Holland County Fair three years running.
The first running of a still.
An example of something running is a train that is operating.
An example of running used as an adverb is in the phrase "for seven years running," which means going on for seven years in a row.
An example of running is being in charge of a church festival.
An example of running is the state of a racetrack before a big race.
Four years running.
- Entered as a contender in a competition.
- Having the possibility of winning or placing well in a competition.
- Not entered as a contender in a competition.
- Having no possibility of winning or placing well in a competition.
- In (or out of) the competition; having a (or no) chance to win.