- having to do with an origin; first; earliest
- never having occurred or existed before; fresh; new; novel
- capable of or given to inventing or creating something new, or thinking or acting in an independent, individual, fresh way
- coming from someone as the originator, maker, author, etc.
- being that from which reproductions, copies, etc. have been made
Origin of originalOld French from Classical Latin originalis
- a pristine form or primary type that has given rise to varieties
- an original work, as of art or literature, as distinguished from a reproduction, copy, etc.
- the person or thing represented in a painting or the like
- a person with an original and creative mind
- an eccentric person
- Archaic an originator
Origin of originalFr < the adj.