When you always go to the store on Monday and one week you go to the store on Tuesday, this is an example of a deviation.
- Sharp divergence from normal behavior.
- Divergence from the official ideology or policies of a political party, esp. a Communist party.
- The deflection of a magnetic compass needle due to magnetic influences; specif., on a ship, such deflection caused by the ship's own magnetic properties.
- The amount by which a number differs from an average or other comparable value.
Origin of deviation
- From Middle French deviation, from Medieval Latin deviatio