Coal mining is a demanding job.
- Working all day in a coal mine in the heat and doing hard physical labor is an example of a job that would be described as demanding.
- A person who is really bossy and who always wants every single thing his way is an example of someone who would be described as demanding.
The definition of demanding is requires a lot of effort, skill or attention.
- Requiring much effort or attention: exhausted by a demanding job.
- Requiring others to work hard or meet high expectations: a demanding teacher.
(comparative more demanding, superlative most demanding)
- Present participle of demand.
From demand + -ing.
- He.s demanding we return Ully.
- Would he soon grow tired of her showing up at his door, demanding a meal?
- He wasn't demanding or pleading, he was reasoning with her.
- So far he is in general agreement with Anaximander, but he differs from him in the solution of the problem, disliking, as a poet and a mystic, the primary matter which satisfied the patient researcher, and demanding a more vivid and picturesque element.
- In pursuance of his method of successive studies he began in 1823 the study of Italian literature, passing over German as demanding more labour than he could afford.