The definition of trying is defined as an irritating person or thing.
An example of trying is a little brother constantly asking their older sibling "why"?: a trying brother.
Causing strain, hardship, or distress.
(comparative more trying, superlative most trying)
- Present participle of try.
try +"Ž -ing
- Nick was trying to wake her up so they could go to the mall.
- Why were you trying to call him?
- He's trying to change, but it isn't easy.
- I wondered if she was trying to "make up."
- They were sitting around the fire and trying to keep themselves warm.