- In an undetermined and often critical position:
Our plans were left hanging in the balance. Resolution of that item is still in the balance.
- Taking everything into consideration; all in all.
- in a critical, undecided state
- while in an awkward or unbalanced position
to throw a ball off balance
- not proportional or harmonious; not in equilibrium
- considering everything; all in all
Other Word Forms of Balance
Origin of Balance
Middle English balaunce from Old French from Vulgar Latin bilancia having two scale pans from Latin bilānx bi- two dwo- in Indo-European roots lānx scale
From American Heritage Dictionary of the English Language, 5th Edition
From Middle French balance, from Late Latin *bilancia, from (accusative form of) Latin bilanx (“two-scaled”), from bi- + lanx (“plate, scale”).
Find Similar Words
Find similar words to balance using the buttons below.